In July I returned to Braddock, PA for the third time to document what I saw. The first two trips resulted in “Part 1” of my project, which I decided to use as a baseline, something a decade from now I will be able to return to as my starting point. I made those prints by utilizing the Bromoil process, as that seemed to fit the subject matter. I have had one show of these prints and will be about half of my next show in Reston, VA early next year.
The question when becomes how I should print this next part of the project. I am not going to divide things into years moving forward, but will work on feeling. This means that, hopefully, at some point I will feel that the corner has been turned and will move to a more conventional printing method.
Until that happens, I am looking for a style that will not only fit the subject matter, but will product a unique print. I have little interest, at this point, in creating numerous look-alike prints, but would like to keep things with the element of chance so that each print will be unique.
This image is of a couple of boarded houses where someone has painted flowers on those boards. This was done to a number of houses in that area and I would certainly like to know the story behind this. The print was made by brushing Dektol developer on the paper, so if I choose to go this route then no two prints will be the same.